vCloud Director orchestration models let you provide your customers with a ready environment which they can use to deploy virtual servers. The administrator creates and deploys orchestration models. In their turn, customers receive a vCloud Director environment with configured resource pool(s), network(s) and data store(s). This page describes how you can add orchestration models using OnApp.
Using OnApp you can view create, deploy and delete orchestration models. When you deploy a orchestration model you create a new VDC on the vCloud Director side. CPU, memory, network and data store resources associated with the new VDC will be configured according to the parameters you set during orchestration model creation and deployment.
- Ensure that Orchestration Models permissions are on before managing orchestration models.
- This functionality is available for users with the vCloud Organization Administrator role.
View Orchestration Models
To view orchestration models, go to the Control Panel > Cloud > Orchestration Models in the vCloud Director section. The page that loads shows the list of orchestration models with their labels and the particular vCloud Director to which each template is associated.
Click the vCloud Director label next to the template you are interested in to view the details of the vCloud Director compute resource associated with it.
Click the label of a orchestration model to view its details:
- Label - the name of the orchestration model
- Compute Resource - the compute resource associated with the orchestration model
- Provider Resource Pool - select from the drop-down list the provider VDC that will be used when an organization VDC will be deployed from the orchestration model.
VDC model type - the resource pool type: Allocation Pool, Reservation Pool or Pay-As-You-Go
There are three types of resource pools:
- Allocation Pool - a percentage of the resources you allocate from the provider virtual datacenter are committed to the organization virtual datacenter. You can specify the percentage for both CPU and memory.
- Pay-As-You-Go - resources are committed only when users create vApps in the organization virtual datacenter.
- Reservation Pool - all of the resources you allocate are immediately committed to the organization virtual datacenter.
The array of resources with the minimum, maximum, and default values the end client can order and information on whether the end client can change and see the values. The parameters apply to a certain VDC model type selected previously. For details see the Orchestration Models API.
- Default Network - the network pool for the selected compute resource
- Deploy edge gateway - whether an edge gateway will be deployed or not.
- Edge gateway name - the label for the new edge gateway. The default name is MyEdgeGateway. This field appears only when the Deploy edge gateway option is enabled.
- Networks to create - the networks that will be created during orchestration model deployment with their details:
- Network Name - the label for the network
- Type - the type of the network: direct, routed or isolated.
- Network Address - the network address in "x.x.x.x/x" format.
- DNS - DNS for the network.
- Enable thin provisioning - whether thin provisioning is enabled
- Enable fast provisioning - whether fast provisioning is enabled
- Data store option choices - the settings for data stores:
- Label - the name of the data store zone(s) in which data stores will be created during orchestration model deployment.
- Minimum - the minimum data store size (GB) that can be requested during orchestration model deployment
- Maximum - the maximum data store size (GB) that can be requested during orchestration model deployment
- Default - the default data store size (GB) that will be set during orchestration model deployment. If the data store options are not set as customizable and/or visible, the default data store size will be applied during orchestration model deployment.
- Customizable - whether the data store size can be altered during orchestration model deployment
- Visible - whether the data store zone will be listed during orchestration model deployment. If the data store zone is not visible, a data store will still be created in it.
Deploy Orchestration Model
To deploy an orchestration model:
- Go to the Control Panel > Cloud > Orchestration Models in the vCloud Director section.
- Click the Actions button next the template you want to deploy and select Deploy.
- On the page that loads, configure the resources assigned to the vCloud Director created from this VDC template:
- Organization - select the organization with which the orchestration model will be associated
- Resource Pool Label - enter a label for a resource pool that will be created after the template is deployed
- CPU Allocation - amount of CPU resources (GHZ) that will be allocated after the template is deployed
- CPU Guaranteed - amount of guaranteed CPU allocation (%)
- vCPU Speed - the vCPU speed that can be consumed after the template is deployed
- Memory - the amount of memory(MB) that will be allocated after the template is deployed
- Memory Guaranteed - amount of guaranteed memory allocation (%)
- VS Number - the number VSs that can be created after the template is deployed
- Default Storage Policy - select the default storage policy
- Set the disk size for the data stores that will be allocated after the template is deployed
- Edge gateway name - the name of the edge gateway
- Edge gateway uplink networks - select one or several external networks
- Default gateway - select the default gateway
- Use default gateway for DNS relay - move this slider to the right to use default gateway for DNS relay
The networks that will be assigned to the newly created VDC with their details:
- Network Name - the label for the network
- Type - the type of the network: routed, isolated or direct
- Network Address - the network address in "x.x.x.x/x" format
- DNS - DNS for the network
Click Next to proceed.
Review the details of the vCloud Director you are going to deploy.
If you are satisfied with the configurations, click the Submit button to deploy the orchestration model.
If you want to change any of the resources, click the Previous button and make the necessary changes.