The vCloud Director Instance is imported into OnApp as a compute resource (vcloud type). First you need to create a vCloud Director compute zone and than a vCloud compute resource which should be attached it to the zone. After you add a vCloud Director compute resource, your vCD resources are imported into OnApp.
Create vCloud Director Compute Zones
To create a new vCloud Director compute zone, follow the next steps:
- Go to your Control Panel > Admin > Settings menu and click the Compute Zones icon.
- Press "+" or click the Create Compute Zone button.
- On the screen that follows the parameters, you need to fill in the next properties:
- Label - give your compute zone a name.
Server type - choose the server type from the drop-down box. Choose the Virtual Private Cloud server type to create a vCloud Director server zone. Only vCloud Director compute resources can be attached to a zone of this type.
The zone's type cannot be changed after the zone is created.
Location group - select the location group to which this compute zone will be assigned.
Failover timeout - time period for which the iterations will run during the failover if the compute resource does not respond.
- After you fill in all the parameters click the Save button.
Create vCloud Director Compute Resources
When importing vCD resources you can choose whether you wish your users to be associated with one or several vCloud Director instances. If you wish your users to have access to multiple vCloud Director instances, you can set up several organizations in OnApp to be associated with a single user groups and have access to resources across multiple vCD instances.
- single vCloud Director mode - all resources are imported from the vCD instance. Each organization is imported as a separate user group which can be associated with one vCD instance.
- multiple vCloud director mode - only system level entities are imported (provider VDCs, external networks, etc.). Organizations are imported but are empty, i.e. do not contain resources and users. After the initial import you can select which organization you wish to import and associate with a certain user group. Users imported in this mode can be configured to have access to multiple vCD instances.
To create a vCD compute resource:
- Go to your Control Panel > Admin > Settings menu.
- Click the Compute Resources icon.
- Press the + button or click the Add New Compute Resource button underneath the list of compute resources on the screen.
- On the screen that appears:
- Label - enter a compute resource label.
Compute resource type - choose a Compute resource type, in this case vcloud.
- Compute zone - select the compute zone of VPC type
Operation mode - select whether you wish to import the zone in the single or multiple vCloud Director mode. If you select the multiple vCloud Director, you need to later import the resources of an organization and its users.
You can later switch from single vCloud Director mode to the multiple vCloud Director mode if required. In this case, the new organizations will no longer be syncronized from vCD to OnApp. It will be required to import each new organization.
You cannot switch from multiple to single vCloud Director mode.
- API URL - set the vCloud Director API URL - e.g. https://example.com
- Login - specify the vCloud Director system admin login
- Password - specify the vCloud Director system admin password
AMQP Exchange Name - specify your vCloud Director AMQP exchange name (this can be taken in your vCloud Director instance Extensibility > Settings > Exchange )
- Click the Save button. The Compute resource will be added to the system. You can view it under the Compute resources menu. Click the Back button to return to the Compute resource Settings page.
If you have selected the multiple vCloud Director mode for the compute resource, you need to import organizations.
vCloud Director Compute Resource Characteristics
|Feature / Virtualization Software||vCloud Director|
|Provisioning||Self Service via UI||Y|
|Host CDN Edge||N|
|Storage||OnApp Integrated Storage||N|
|Snapshot Capability||see vCloud Director VS Snapshots|
|Load balancing clusters||N|
|Manage Network Interfaces||Y|
Virtual server management
|Hot RAM resize without reboot**||N|
|Hot CPU cores resize without reboot||N|
|Disk hotattachment / detachment||N|
|Disk resize (increase/decrease)||Y - cold|
|IPv6 support ***||N|
|Reboot in recovery||N|
Power on/off/reboot vApp
Power on/off/reboot VS
Build vApp from template
Build VS from template
Integrated VS into vApp
Reset root password
Set SSH Keys
Edit VS Resources
|Disk IOPS Stats||Y|
|Network Interface Stats||Y|
|Console||HTML 5 Console||Y|
|Balooningrelease resource type for Compute zones||N|