vCloud Director application servers are managed similarly to the regular application server instances. For information on how to manage application servers, refer to the Application Servers page.
Application server creation process is similar to virtual server creation. The difference is that a specific default template is used automatically during application server creation. For more information refer to the Application Server Billing page.
- Before creating an Application server make sure that you specified at least two resolvers for the network on which this server will run. This can be done at Admin > Settings > Resolvers.
- Before creating an Application server you need to configure notifications for your cloud. This can be done at Control Panel > Admin > Notifications > Configuration. For information on how to set up notifications for your cloud, refer to Notifications Setup.
- Before creating an Application server you need to fill in the system_email parameter in the
- Starting with OnApp 5.4 version, application servers functionality is applicable for users with vCloud Director integration. Ensure that Create a new virtual server and Compute zones permissions are on before creating application server for vCloud.
To create a vCloud Director Application Server:
- Go to your Control Panel > Cloud > Application Servers menu.
- On the screen that appears, press "+" button or click the Create Application Server button underneath the list of servers on the screen.
- Complete the application server creation form through the following steps.
Step 1 of 4. Cloud Locations
The Cloud Locations step applies to those users who have compute zones assigned to location groups in their bucket.
If the user's bucket has several compute zones, some of which are assigned to location groups, whereas others are not - the cloud locations screen will not be available in the wizard. Also if there is only one location this step will be skipped. In this case the wizard will start with the Properties step.
Indicate your application server's cloud location:
- Country - choose the country, where the cloud is located, from the drop-down menu.
- City - specify the city, where the cloud is located, from the drop-down menu.
Click Next to proceed to the following step of the wizard to specify the application server properties.
Step 2 of 4. Properties
Specify the following application server properties:
- Label - the label of the application server. The required parameter.
Hostname - the hostname of the application server. The required parameter. The hostname should consist of letters [A-Z a-z], digits [0-9] and dash [ - ].
Domain - specify the domain for this VS. The default value is localdomain. This parameter is not applicable to Windows virtual servers.For example:
test.onapp.com - specify 'test' as hostname, 'onapp.com'- as domain. If you leave the domain field blank, the default value 'localdomain' will be used and you will get the following - test.onapp.com.localdomain.
Click Next to proceed to the following step of the wizard to specify the application server resources.
Particular characters are not allowed in hostnames for Windows-based application servers:
percent sign [%]
double quotation marks [“]
vertical bar [|]
Step 3 of 4. Resources
At this step, you can set your application server's resources, such as disk size, network configuration and other.
Compute Zone - the compute zone to build the application server on.
- User group - select the organization from the drop-down menu
Vdc - select vCloud resource pool from the drop-down menu
- RAM - set the amount of application server's RAM. The recommended RAM amount is at least 512 MB.
CPU Cores - set the amount of application server's CPU cores. For KVM compute resources, this parameter sets CPU sockets by default, unless CPU topology is enabled.
- Data Store - choose a data store for application server's primary disk.
- Network - choose a network from the drop-down box.
Click Next to proceed to the following step of the wizard that completes the application server creation process.
Step 4. Confirmation
- Move the Build Virtual Server slider to the right if you want the system to automatically build the application server. If you leave this box blank, you will have to build your server manually after it is created.
At the Confirmation step you can find the configuration summary of the application server, which will be created. You can view template's name, RAM size, number of networks, primary disk and swap disk size, number of cores.
After you set up all parameters, click the Create Application Server button to start the creation process.