OnApp allows hot and cold migration of virtual servers between hosts that share common data stores (or data store zones). Hot migration means moving virtual servers that are running, while cold migration means moving virtual servers that are shut down.
To hot migrate a virtual server:
- Go to your Control Panel's Virtual Servers menu.
- Click the label of the virtual server you want to migrate.
- Click the Tools button and press the Migrate Virtual Server link.
- In the window that appears, choose the target hypervisor from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Start to Migrate button.
After migration, the power status of your virtual server remains the same as before the migration. If you migrate a virtual server that's running, the whole process is almost unnoticeable.
OnApp administrators can control user access over virtual server migration. Using OnApp permissions, you can allow/forbid users to perform migration of all virtual servers, or their own servers only. This is handled via the Control Panel's Users and Groups menu.