After you set up your infrastructure, the final step is to configure your cloud on your Control Panel user interface. This section provides information on how to configure a basic cloud. After you complete the following steps, you can create virtual servers in your cloud.
Configure Compute Resources
- You can add KVM compute resources to compute zones of the Virtual and Smart types
- You can add vCloud Director compute resources to compute zones of the VPC type
- You can add vCenter compute resources to compute zones of the Virtual type
If you want to use Integrated Storage, select a compute zone as a storage API endpoint and make sure to enable Integrated Storage in the Settings > Admin > Configuration to group compute resource drives together into a virtual data store.
Configure Data Stores
To provide your virtual servers with storage space, you need to create data store zones and data stores. You can create LVM and integrated storage data stores. You should also attach data stores to the data store zone. If you deploy traditional storage, you need to configure data stores on your compute resource. The commands below use /dev/sda5 as an example. You can find a volume group identifier we're using in the second command on the Data Stores page in the Control Panel. Follow these steps for each local storage block on a compute resource:
Configure Relations Between Entities
After you added all the necessary resources to your cloud, you need to associate them with the compute resource you created. For this, assign the data store and network to the compute resource or compute zone. You also need to assign a backup server to compute resources or compute zones. All data stores, networks, and backup servers you assign to a compute zone or resource should be from zones with the same type as the compute zone or resource. Zones can have one of the following types: Virtual, Baremetal, Smart, or VPC.
- To Virtual compute zones and resources, you can assign networks from the Virtual network zones and LVM, Integrated Storage, VMware, and SolidFire data stores from the Virtual data store zones.
- To Baremetal compute zones and resources, you can assign networks from the Baremetal network zones.
- To Smart compute zones and resources, you can assign networks from the Smart network zones and LVM, Integrated Storage, and SolidFire data stores from the Smart data store zones.
- To VPC compute zones and resources, you can assign external, org, and vApp networks from the VPC network zones, data stores, and data store zones. All VMware Cloud Director-related resources have the VPC type.
To control user access to resources that are available in your cloud, create and configure Buckets. Buckets enable you to set up resource allocation and pricing separately. If you want to configure resources to which a user has access, you can edit Access Control. If you want to set up pricing for resources, edit Rate Card where the prices and the number of free resources are set.
To set up resource allocation to which a user has access and assign a user to the needed bucket, go to your Control Panel > Admin > Bucket & User Wizard menu.