Create service add-on
To create a service add-on:
- Go to your Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu in the left navigation pane.
- Click the "+" button.
- On the screen that follows:
- Label – give your service add-on a name
- Description – add the service add-on description
Icon – upload the service add-on icon (click Choose file to select a necessary image)
Compatible with – choose if the service add-on can be assigned to Unix-based, Windows-based, or both types Virtual servers upon creation.
- Click Save. The service add-on will be created and you will be redirected to the Edit page, where you can manage On Add and On Remove events.
Add events to service add-on
On add events and On remove events let you configure which actions will be run on the VS, to which the service add-on is assigned. The transactions for running the On Add events will be scheduled at the moment when the service add-on is assigned to a VS. The transactions for running the On Remove events will be scheduled at the moment when the service add-on is re-assigned from a VS.
Currently the Recipe events are available for service add-on configuration, in particular the recipes that run on Virtual Servers and vCloud Director Virtual Servers.
The recipes should be created beforehand, properly configured and tested.
The list of recipes that can be assigned to a service add-on depends on the user plan settings - it is possible to choose only from those recipe groups which are added to billing plan. Also it is required to have the View recipes permission to be able to attach a recipe event to a service add-on. Make sure that the recipe Compatible with parameter and the service add-on Compatible With parameter are consistent. Otherwise running the event will fail for a VS.
For more information on how to manage On add events and On remove events for service add-on, refer to the Manage Service Add-ons section of this guide.
Service add-on store
After you have created the service add-ons and properly configured recipe events for them, proceed to arranging the service add-ons into a groups of services. A Service add-on store enables you to organize individual service add-ons into groups that can be further added to a plan to control user access. Only those groups which are added to a billing plan will be available to a user. You can arrange the service add-ons into groups depending on their type, price, or whatever other attribute.
The prices for the individual service add-ons are also set in the Service add-ons store per service add-on per hour. This is the additional price that will be calculated for the VS besides the resources cost.
For detailed instructions, refer to Manage Service Add-on Store section of this guide.
Pricing and Access control
To set the pricing for the individual service add-ons, go to the Service Add-ons > Store menu and indicate the price for required service add-ons per service add-on per hour. This price will be charged additionally to the VS price.
Also you can limit the service add-on groups in the billing plan. The users will be able to assign to their VSs the service add-ons from the groups which are added to their plans.
For vCloud Director VSs, you can monitor the total cost for all service add-ons inside the company. For this go to your Control Panel’s Groups menu > your User group’s label > Service Addons Stats link.
The following permissions regulate service add-on functionality:
- Any actions on Service Add-ons - the user can perform any operations on Service Add-ons - view, create, edit and delete service add-ons
- Create new Service Add-ons - the user can create new Service Add-ons (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > the "+" button)
- Delete Service Add-ons and Delete own Service Add-ons - the user can delete Service Add-ons (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > the "Actions" icon > Delete)
- Edit any Service Add-on and Edit own Service Add-ons - the user can update Service Add-ons (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > the "Actions" icon > Edit)
- Read all Service Add-ons and Read own Service Add-ons - the user can view Service Add-ons (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu)
Service Add-on Groups
- Any action on Service Add-on Groups - the user can take any action on Service Add-on Groups - view, create, edit and delete service add-on groups
- Create a new Service Add-on group - the user can create a new Service Add-on group and add child service add-on groups (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > Store > the "+" button and Add Child button)
- Destroy any Service Add-on group and Destroy own Service Add-on group - the user can delete Service Add-on groups (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > Store > the "Delete" button next to the service add-on group you want to delete)
- See all Service Add-on groups - the user can see all Service Add-on groups (Control Panel's Service Add-ons menu > Store)
- Manage any Service Add-on group - the user can manage a Service Add-on group (the user can edit a service add-on group, assign a particular service add-on to a service add-on group, remove service add-on from the service add-on group, edit service add-on price).
- Manage Service Add-ons for all virtual servers and Manage Service Add-ons for own virtual servers - the user can manage Service Add-ons for virtual servers (Control Panel's Virtual Servers menu > VS label > Overview > Service Add-ons)
For more information about permissions, refer to the Permissions List chapter of this guide.
Assign service add-on to VS
When the events and the prices are configured for service add-ons, the user can assign a service add-on to any of their VSs. For more information refer to the Virtual Server Service Add-ons section of this guide.
Also you can view the list of VSs, assigned to the service add-on. For details, refer to the Manage Service Add-ons section of this guide.