Hardware & Marketplace Requirements
This page contains the hardware requirements, CDN marketplace requirements, and the recommended network configuration for OnApp CDN.
These are the minimum recommended specs for OnApp CDN controller, edge, and storage servers:
|OnApp Controller Server||Compute Resource Servers|
Also below you can find hardware requirements for:
|Accelerator||Edge and Storage Servers|
The cache size per disk for an HTTP edge server is determined by the following formula:
Cache size per disk = (total disk space - 10%) - 15 GB
CDN Marketplace Requirements
Edge servers submitted to the marketplace are assessed on a case-by-case basis before they are accepted. This helps us to ensure effective CDN performance for hosting providers and end users.
CDN storage server is not available in the marketplace (only HTTP and streaming edge servers are allowed).
The assessment process includes:
We benchmark your PoP via SSH. It must meet these minimum requirements:
- Max marketplace price of $0.05/GB (EU/US) or $0.20/GB (rest of world)
- Two or more dedicated edge servers with the same location, but on different compute resources (for redundancy)
Minimum edge server hardware/network/storage specs:
|CPU||Quad Core||Quad Core|
|RAM||8 GB||8 GB|
|Sequential Read||45 MB/s||45 MB/s|
|1 Gbps||100 Mbps||1 Gbps||100 Mbps|
|RAID||None / RAID-0||None / RAID-0|
|IPs||3 Public IPs||1 Public IP|
|Disk Space||400 GB*||1 TB**||1 TB|
* this configuration provides you with a small disk and good IOPS performance
** this configuration provides you with a large disk and lower IOPS performance
Location/Existing Coverage Assessment
Next, we consider your PoP's physical location. Our aim is to ensure broad CDN coverage while preventing the saturation of edge servers in a given location.
- A PoP in a new location is likely to be accepted as long as it passes the benchmark process.
- In a location with many existing PoPs, your server may not be accepted unless it has unusually good performance characteristics.
Benchmark + Location = Decision!
If your PoP is accepted, it is available immediately on the marketplace.
- If your PoP is not accepted for performance reasons, we'll raise a ticket for resolution with you, and keep it in view for reassessment in the future.
- If location issues prevented your PoP from being accepted, we'll keep it in view for reassessment in the future.
The Marketplace PoPs Star rating has a range from 1 to 5.
The rating is calculated based on the average of the IOPs, RAM, bandwidth, disk space, and server count sub-ratings. The rating is bounded above by the uptime sub-rating.
This rating benchmark runs once a week using the past 30 days' data.
Stars Description Example:
1. Stars: Below minimum requirements. 90% uptime, 3GB RAM, 70GB disk, 15Mbps
2. Stars: Meets minimum requirements. 95% uptime, 4GB RAM, 100GB disk, 50Mbps, 120 IOPS
3. Stars: Good. Can be met by a location with a single edge server that is stable and has good hardware. 98% uptime, 10GB RAM, 240GB disk, 150Mbps, 250 IOPS
4. Stars: Very good. A location with several edge servers that are stable and have good hardware including SSDs. 99.3% uptime, 20GB RAM, 600GB disk, 1500Mbps, 2000 IOPS
5. Stars: Excellent. A highly stable network with high capacity. 99.9% uptime, 36GB RAM, 1.2TB disk, 3Gbps, 8000 IOPS
As we enforced the minimal requirements for a marketplace edge server to ensure CDN quality, you should expect no 1-2 stars PoP listed.
Recommended Network Configuration
An edge server that doesn't meet the minimal requirements is rejected. Such edge server can still be used to serve your own users’ content, except for selling bandwidth in CDN Federation. Our benchmarking engineer will contact you via the support ticket and you will be able to upgrade your edge server to get enrolled in the marketplace.
To check the status of your edge server:
- Go to your Dashboard (admin.onapp.com)> CDN > Portal menu.
- On the page that appears, click the Edge Servers drop-down list and select Edge Servers.
- Click the label of the edge server the status of which you want to check, and in the Activation Status field, the needed information is shown.