Software-defined networking (SDN) implies several kinds of network technology intended to make the network as agile and flexible as the virtualized server and storage infrastructure of the modern data center. The feature provides the ability to manage networks using VXLAN technology across OnApp cloud compute resources. Thus, you receive a tool to build level-two network infrastructure with OnApp on top of existing IP (level three) network.
In this chapter, you will find the following:
- SDN manager, which is the entity in OnApp Control Panel to connect to ODL controller
- SDN nodes, which are instances of Open vSwitch on a compute resource
- SDN networks, which are attached to compute resources that are selected as SDN nodes on the SDN Network creation page
Before you start an SDN network creation process, the following steps should be taken:
- Install and configure ODL controller.
- Create SDN Manager.
- Enable and start openvswitch on your compute resources.
- Add SDN Manager's connection options, used to connect SDN nodes.
- Add SDN nodes to the created SDN Manager.
A schematic of OnApp running SDN is shown below.