OnApp logs all cloud management actions that take place on cloud resources, including virtual servers, disks, data stores, compute resources, templates, networks.
View and Manage Logs
To access and manage logs, go to your Control Panel > Admin > Logs menu, where you can view the log of all transactions in the cloud. The Activity Log table provides the following details:
- Icon - indicates the status of an action
Ref - number that you can click to view details of a specific transaction
- Date - time when the action was perfomed
- Action - name of the transaction
Target - cloud resource with an identification number that you can click to view its details
You can view details on target cloud resources that are displayed in bold, indicating that they are available in the cloud. You cannot view details on resources that are unavailable, for example, resources that failed to be created.
- Dependent - action's ref number that you can click to view its details
At the Logs page, you can click:
- Hide Successful Market Notifications to remove from the list actions that were performed successfully. Click this button again to show the full list.
- Complete, Running, Failed or Cancelled to filter logs by their status
- Failover Processes to view the list of failover logs. See Failover Processes section for details.
- Clean Logs to clear the logs completely
- Cancel All Pending Tasks to cancel all tasks scheduled for completion
- Cancel All Pending Backups to remove all pending backups
To search for a specific transaction, you can use the search box at the top.
You can also relegate "pending" transactions to the failed status. To do so, hover over the pending status icon of a transaction > click the cross signthat pops up. This option becomes available if the transaction has been pending for the period of time specified in the Settings > Admin > Configuration > Zombie transaction time parameter.
You can see transaction logs updated in real time. This is achieved by means of tail -f Unix command, which causes tail to not stop when the end of file is reached but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the output.
To enhance readability, the following log items are pointed out with color and font size:
- Remote Server
- Executing Rollback
To view changes that have been made during a transaction, you need to have the appropriate Resource Diff permissions enabled.
If the size of certain resources is changed, the logs will contain the information about both current and previous size of the resource. Change tracking is available for the following transactions:
- Resize Disk - changes of the disk size
- ResizeVirtualServer - changes to a VS's number of CPU cores, priority value and RAM size
- ResizeApplicationServer - changes to an application server's number of CPU cores, priority value and RAM size
- ResizeVirtualServerwithoutreboot - changes to a VS's number of CPU cores, priority value and RAM size performed without a reboot
- ResizeApplicationServerwithoutreboot - changes to an application server's number of CPU cores, priority value and RAM size performed without a reboot
- UpdateResourcePool - changes to the resource pool's resources
- EditFirewallRule - changes to the firewalls
- EditNATRule - changes to the NAT rules
- EditIPSECVPNRule - changes to the IPSECVPN rules
- HotMigrate - changes to the ID, label, and IP address of the source/destination compute resource when the VS is online
- ColdMigrate - changes to the ID, label, and IP address of the source/destination compute resource when the VS is offline
To view resource changes in these transactions
- for all resources in the cloud: go to to the Activity Log section of the Control Panel page or go to your Control Panel > Admin > Logs > Ref number
- for a virtual server's resources: go to your Control Panel > Cloud > Virtual Servers > Label > Activity Log > Ref number
At the beginning of the page that loads you will see a table with the list of resources with their values before and after the transaction. If you have the Approvals permissions enabled, you will see the Approve and Decline buttons at the bottom of the screen in case the transaction is pending for approval. For more information refer to Transaction Approvals.
Failover processes show the list of failover logs that take place on the Compute zones in the cloud.
To view the list of failover processes:
- Go to your Control Panel > Admin > Logs menu.
- Click the Failover Processes button. On the page that appears, you can see the following information for each failover log:
- Failover number
- Indication of the time when it started
- Compute zone on which the failover happened
- Time of the last iteration
- Failover action status: active or completed
To view the failover transaction details, click its reference number. For more information on failover, refer to Failover Configuration section of this guide.