OnApp allows hot and cold migration of application servers between compute resources that share common data stores (or data store zones). Hot migration means moving application servers that are running, while cold migration means moving application servers that are shut down.
To hot migrate an application server:
- Go to your Control Panel's Application Servers menu.
- Click the label of the application server you want to migrate.
- Click the Tools button and press the Migrate Application Server link.
- In the window that appears, choose the target compute resource from the drop-down menu.
- Move the Cold-migrate when hot-migration fails slider to the right if you want to apply cold migration in case of hot migration failure.
- Click the Start Migration button.
After migration, the power status of your application server remains the same as before the migration. If you migrate an application server that's running, the whole process is almost unnoticeable.